John Andrews - Late Nights and Fashion

on Thursday, September 6, 2012

     I've been anticipating the release of John Andrews' mixtape Late Nights and Fashion for a while now, ever since I got a taste of his single On For The Night.  The wait was worth it!  If you haven't heard his style, it's something like G.O.O.D. Music (Common, Mos Def, and Big Sean signed to the label) meets Y.M.C.M.B (Drake), meets M.M.G. (Meek Mills and Wale).  If I were to sum it up in a few words or a slogan it would be "Feel Good Music" simply because it puts you in a good mood.  In other words, it's uplifting.  
     I think the voice of the artist plays a huge part in the success, differentiation, and appeal to their audience.  Sort of how Lil Wayne, Drake, Tyga, and Big Sean have extremely distinctive and unique voices.  Having that said, John Andrew's has one that is different, smooth, and comes with some attitude, though he sounds young.  My favorite hip-hop/rap songs have lyrics over a classic piano, such as Jay-Z's Empire State of Mind or Kanye's Heard Em Say.  The beats off of Late Nights and Fashion are awesome.  I actually like each one but then again, most mixtapes have awesome beats.  But even if there is a good beat, a song can still be bad.  Lil Wayne released his mixtape Dedication 4 recently which features Kanye West's Mercy.  The sample has Nicki Minaj, who absolutely destroys the beat.  I didn't think a beat could be so amazing and then single handedly ruined by someone.  To continue, the lyrics off of Late Nights and Fashion are meaningful and hold real.  I know John Andrews personally and the story that he tells through his music is legit.  He doesn't over extend himself, nor does he exaggerate about where he comes from or what he has and dreams of.  The realness and emotion expressed in it all is a nice change of pace from what I usually hear which is great and I love it.  
     Overall, Late Nights and Fashion is a great listen; especially for a debute mixtape.  He could definitely improve but when someone has "it" you could tell right off the bat and I truly believe he does.  I can't wait for him to come out with another track but till then I'll enjoy Late Nights and Fashion to the fullest.  Check out, download, or stream Late Nights and Fashion below.  Congrats John Andrews and best of luck to you in your future endeavors.




Follow on Twitter: @_JohnAndrews
Like on Facebook: John Andrews (Y.E) 

0 comments:

Post a Comment